Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pipework Chainage

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1346 Views, 8 Replies

Pipework Chainage

Hi,

I am doing civil engineering in Revit to create multiple pipe segments connected through manholes. I need a running total length of the pipe segments  - that is referred to as Chainage in Civil Engineering.

inb4 - I cannot use Civil3D.

Has anyone done this or figured out a way to do it?

Thanks

The D

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
chrisplyler
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes you can. Use a pipe schedule. Here I've created a schedule that is sorted by System Name, then by Material, then by Diameter. Length is set to calculate totals. So I can see a total for each size and a grand total length for the whole system at the bottom.

chainage.gif

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Thanks Chris for your help.

What I have found in working alongside engineers is that they want at any point in the chain of pipes to to be able determine the chainage distance from the starting point. This sketch below really is what I somehow need.Capture.JPG

Message 4 of 9
chrisplyler

Well, that takes the question up into an elevation that's over my head.

I modified my schedule to include the Mark field, and sorted by it right after System Name. I made sure my pipe segments were Marked in order from one end to the other. I made a calculated value field, but I cannot figure any way to make it add up its own length plus the sum of the previous lengths.

I imagine it could be done, but you may need to create the functionality with the API or Dynamo, which by the way are also over my head? Anybody else have any ideas?

Message 5 of 9
chrisplyler

You could export my schedule, open it in MS-Excel, and add a column for adding up the current length to the sum of the previous lengths.

Before you export, switch your project units to a decimal value without a unit designator. If you get something like 12'-3" in an Excel field, it won't calculate as a numerical value.

chainage2.gif

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

Thanks for your help Chris but it really needs to be all done within the model as it needs to pull the data live from the model at all times.

It also needs to form part of a section drawing.

Maybe AutoDesk can help??

Message 7 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

As it has been explained above, a schedule can report the length of each segment of pipes, but the sum of the accumulated lengths at the end of each segment? I don't think that feature exists. That information would need to be calculated in Excel, as explained above, or you would need to hire someone to write a custom routine for you.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Profile on Linkedin
Message 8 of 9
chrisplyler

AHA! You can of course use an ordinate dimension in your section view to call out cumulative distances. But of course they aren't actual exact pipe segment lengths. So this doesn't solve the question you asked, but maybe it's helpful?

ordinate.gif

Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

I must say that visit this site to get information about pipework or prefabricated pipeworks.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Customer Advisory Groups

Autodesk Design & Make Report