What's new

Gillette Super Adjustable

I am going to be receiving a couple of vintage razors. Before today, I had no clue about what they were, but I just got a picture. They are actually my girlfriend's grandfather's razors and they are currently at her parents house. I just received this picture from my girlfriends mom.

$razors.jpg

Now I am still a newbie and do not have any real experience with vintage razor. However, I just did some looking on the B&B wiki, and it looks like they are both Gillette "Slim" super adjustables. The one on the right appears to be the long handle with the black plastic plate. The one on the left looks like a short handle razor, but with the angle I can't be sure. If it is the short handle it seems to be, I believe that makes it the black beauty. I am also told that neither of them show signs of rust or brass corrosion, just a light scummy build up.

Let me know what you all see. I'm not sure how long it will be till I get them though.

Well I will have to see them and make sure that everything is working on the adjustable bits, but I am also told that they open and close smoothly so we will see.

These are Gillette Super Adjustable razors made from 1968 to 1988. Date codes can be found on the bottom side of the plate and take the form of a single letter. N is a 1968, Z is a 1979, A is a 1980 etc. There is also a stand alone number, 1-4 that will appear usually opposite the letter. This gives the quarter of the year for manufacture so an N 1 razor is made between 1 January and 31 March 1968. The Slim Adjustable was made from 1961 to 1968 and to the best of my knowledge never had a black handle.

These are superior razors although not as beefy or necessarily as "elegant" as the slim or as balanced as the Fat Boy. By the time these razors entered production, Gillette had the adjustable technology down very well and didn't need to over engineer etc.

They will give years of great service and wonderful shaves. Start on a 3 or 4 setting and adjust from there. Loosen the handle 1/4 turn before you move the adjustment ring. Enjoy!

I was a bit confused by how the razors were identified on B&B's wiki database. A page exists for both the Super Adjustable (which I did not see before I posted this) and the Slim (which includes some photos of the super adjustable, see below). The main page also lists that the page for slim includes info on the slim black, super, and aristocrat variants (which might be outdated since there are now pages for the super and aristocrat).

attachment.php
(from the wiki)
1) Fat Boy Red Dot
2) Fat Boy
3) Fat Boy bottom adjustable (called 195)
4) Executive (gold Fat Boy)
5) nickel Toggle
6) gold Toggle
7) Slim Adjustable
8) Aristocrat (gold Slim Adjustable)
9) Super-Adjustable
10) gold Super-Adjustable
11) Super-Adjustable with plastic base plate
12) short Super-Adjustable (black beauty)

From what I can see in the picture I have mine would be 11 and 12 (though if I am wrong about the length it would be 9 and 11). I do not have the date code off of them but will definitely check on that when I pick them up.

Looks like you have yourself a short handle super adjustable (early metal blade base) and a later plastic blade base standard super adjustable.

Difference between standard and short handle

proxy.php

difference between metal base and plastic base (pic of plastic base below is the last style with the diamond cut handle, yours is earlier with the smooth lined handle like the earlier ones are)

proxy.php

I will definitely keep that in mind for the future. I it shouldn't be too difficult to date the super adjustables once I can actually see the date code. Though I already know that the plastic base plate model must be from between 1977 and 1982 based on the plastic plate and the handle knurling.

Turtle, thanks for the photos. It's nice to see them side to side.

The Super Adjustable was the model I used through most of the late 1970s and '80s. I didn't know as much then as I do now about cleaning and reconditioning razors, so at some point I must have thrown it away, and like so many other guys went though a period of cartridge razors and disposables (for what it's worth, I always liked the original twin-blade Gillette Sensor).

I recently found a nice one on eBay at a good price, and I'm very glad to have it back in the fold. This one is from 1974 (U-4). I love the black and chrome design - I think it's the most aesthetically pleasing razor I own, out of all my DEs.

Attachments

• $2014-01-17_17-26-41_HDR.jpg
    $2014-01-17_17-26-41_HDR.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Can someone confirm when the shorter handled SA stopped being sold? I recently bought a year of birth W1 SA long handle, but am now really beginning to like shorter handled razors. I'm hoping the short handled SA can still be sourced from 1976. Anyone?

Can someone confirm when the shorter handled SA stopped being sold? I recently bought a year of birth W1 SA long handle, but am now really beginning to like shorter handled razors. I'm hoping the short handled SA can still be sourced from 1976. Anyone?

On Mr Razor I only saw the Black Beauty listed in the year of 1970 3rd quarter, so that leads me to think they were only produced that year. I might be wrong though.

Last edited:
OP: in addition to the tip about opening the doors slightly before changing the setting, there is another thing you need to know before using these razors. After you have closed the doors by turning the knob clockwise, you will feel the knob come to a stop. However, you should add some gentle pressure to give the knob an extra ⅛ - ¼ clockwise turn to lock the head closed and the blade in place. This applies to Gillette adjustable, only.

Very nice razors. I have the same but paid $12 for the long handle and $15 for the black beauty, still pretty cheap. Just follow the cleaning directions on here and they'll be beautiful. Enjoy!

Top Bottom