Sciaenochromis fryeri male or female

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
I used have that breed of fish. Here is a picture of my male. The females are pretty drab so easy to tell apart.
fryeri.JPG

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Looks female, even a sub dominant male fryeri would be showing at least some color at that size. Nothing male about that fish. I've also kept this species for many years. Good luck.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Wow, quite a change. I have males of both varieties (Fryeri & Ahli). Both are young adults. Compare yours to the pic. The color change might not be complete.20191012_073622.jpg

Reactions: Adam GR

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LOL, that's hilarious. It appears that you have a male. :thumbsup:

Wow, quite a change. I have males of both varieties (Fryeri & Ahli). Both are young adults. Compare yours to the pic. The color change might not be complete.
Actually no, you don't. You have an S. fryeri (bottom) and a hybrid on top. Looks like it has protomelus in it, but not sure what exactly it is, but not an ahli. The face/mouth is all wrong. In fact, in all my years in this hobby I have only ever once seen what I believe was S. ahli. 99% of the fish sold in this hobby as S. ahli, are farm fish, with an old school farm name attached.

More info & pics in the following past thread.

HTH

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Well looks like I also have this hybrid. By his body shape I would say that he is a peacock but I have problem to find a completely blue aulonocara. He is about 6inch and pretty aggressive. Any chance for this one and the regular fryeri to live peaceful longterm in a 90gal?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store