Philips CD880 mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
problem solved
becouse of the litle bit more complicated
muting network of the Philips CD 880
additional steps has to be applyed...
I done this without original scematic...
little bit exosting to trace the board connections.
Now the clicks and pops between the songs are gone.
If someone interested I can reply details...
Q
still I am interested how to load unconnected I2S pins
from SAA7220 is there need for this anyway, or
the pins can leave N.C. after aplying the NON-oversampling mode?
maybe resistor in series to led diode to 5V PS?
standard TTL pull up resistor?

Zoran: if you use it in Nonos, its better to remove the SAA7220, this chip produces a lot of noise on the supply.
I removed a 7220 in a CD640. Muted from uP to Saa7210. (The 880 uses 7310) A kwak 7, a transistor I/V, and some new caps round dac completed the mod. Sound:is:D :D even with no S1 or S2.

I know someone who can probably supply me a S1 in time....

Maybe someone can elaborate on how to connect the TDA1541A to which SAA7210 lines for the NOS mod.
After removing the SAA7220 and substituting a socket in its place,, I think you would add jumpers from pin 16 to pin 2, from pin 15 to pin 3, from pin 18 to pin 1

Now what to do about EFAB error flag?

If you remove the SAA7220 you will need a master clock.

Tom

EE

Tom ( and others who want nonos) first advise is, read the datasheets of SAA7210, 7220 and TDA1541.

You need a separate clock (XO or Kwak or....) to feed 11.2896Mhz into Xin of 7210. (pin19) This improves overall sound also.
Clock(pin38->pin2) data(pin37->pin 3) and WordSelect(pin39->pin1) is then connected from 7210 to 1541. Then you have nonos. Fit with 47ohm resitors in series.
Mute from uP to mute-in on 7210 (pin11) The mute signal goes to pin 23 of 7220, track down where it comes from of uP. But if you want me to search this out, i could, a friend has an 880.

Sometimes the cdp has to "re-align" to the new clock on 7210, but after a few moments it should play. I had this at least. Sometime a on/off extra helps.

The Error Flag is not needed anymore, the 7220 dig. filter can interpolate data from missing data when EFAB gets high. With removing of 7220 that will be gone. BTW i have never heard ticks out of my nonos cdp.
If you want to keep the digital tricks in it, don't tremove 7220.
If you want a more natural sound, try nonos. But not every CD sounds better with nonos afaik. Matter a taste.

I do read all the PDF files

Yes important to "get in to" this subject. Read also about nonos here on diyaudio.

And be careful with the 880, it is the last solid audiophile cdp of Philips. Don't mess it up. Its too precious for that.
Every newer player after it got more plastic on it since.

I have here copies of the most important schematics of cd880. Found out: There is a muting allready from pin 17 of chip MC68HC24 to pin 11 of 7210. I think that will be sufficient. (On my CD640 the muting went only to 7220 so i had to re-direct it to the 7210. I had another difficulty with a mute on the clock-cristal signal but i see that is not done in CD880.)

Try the nonos mod first, if you hear noise between tracks there has to be muted a different way.

And something else: with removal of 7220 there will be no digital output anymore.

Hi
here are some pics of
mods i have done...
1. changed decoupling condesers in dac area to 1uF...
2. avoid SAA7220, from 4x oversampling to nonoversampling mode...
3. reconnect mute signal (brown vire) and cut the copper from
(this make the clicks beetwen songs to go away...)
Other recommended mods are:
better clock
recklok I2S bus
change condensers in power supply
cheers

condensers

Attachments

• dac_cond.jpg
    dac_cond.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 951
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.