Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

(I might post another topic with what I think is a more summarised version of the story but this is all relevant information I see being asked for in other topics with similiar issues.)

Probook 4710s

Windows XP 32-Bit

320GB hard drive(around 32GB of it were left at the time of the problem)

4GB (two 2GB sticks of RAM)

AMD Radeon Premium Graphics

intel Core 2

---

Background information

4 years ago, in 2009, I ordered my refurbished laptop from a website. I've never dropped it and can count how many startup-haulting issues I've had on less than 5 fingers. Sure, there were times when I would push the power button and the screen would stay black a little longer than normal (8-10) seconds but those times were few and far between with the delay either resolving itself or, at worst, being nothing a simple power off/power on couldn't fix.  I would like to think I take good care of my computer otherwise, though I will admit since the last half 2012 onward to this year I have been increasingly into gaming. My laptop would heat up to around what the software Speed Fan has measured to be 68-70 degrees. I've started getting bags of ice for my computer but even still about 5 out of 10 of the times I game my computer ends up forcing itself to immediately shut down to prevent heat damage.

I'm not sure if it's related but as of recently, we'll say, all of 2013 to around May, when my computer became non operational, when I'm connected to Wi-Fi listening to Youtube videos play and multi tasking in Adobe software (these might not be the conditions of all the times but they were of all the times I remember) my chances of encountering a Blue Screen of Death and subsequent force shutdown had increased from before, although I can't say if it was getting worse.

---

Start-up issues

I mentioned I can count how many startup halting issues I've ever had on less than 5 fingers, 4 to be exact. Despite what you may think about the last parts of the Background section, serious eyebrow-raising problems were so rare on my laptop I can remember all of them.

#1. I turn on my computer and it sits with the screen black [but on] and doesn't proceed to boot.

This was a year 1 issue for me; both in that I experienced it in my first year of having my laptop and that it may have been the only time it ever happened.

Solution: I just turned the laptop off and on again.

#2. I turn on my computer and it sits at the HP logo screen and does nothing else.

Solution: How I stumbled onto the solution I'll probably never completely remember but I found that having certain USB peripherals connected can (not WILL, frustratingly enough) cause my computer to freeze at the device logo screen. I have observed 100% boot success when I disconnect all USBs and restart.

#3. Some time ago, I would say back in November 2012, I had just gotten through playing a game and still had a bag of ice undernethe the part of my computer I identified to be the fan and the source of all the heat. I figured since the Adobe programs I was running made the computer run not nearly as hard as the game but still fairly hot (54-59 degrees Speed Fan measured) it wouldn't hurt to leave the bag of ice. I don't know what I did to see this but eventually I was staring at the screen frozen showing colored static. I turned the computer off but when I tried to turn it back on, the power button light would come on and I could hear the rest of the computer start to whir up just for the laptop to shut itself down immediately like it was trying to prevent damage to itself.

Solution: I'm not even completely sure what the problem was, although my immediate thoughts were that the cool from the ice bag and the heat produced from the powerfan were producing persperation inside the machine, sure enough, I tilted the computer sideways and small drips of water came from the air vent. I don't know what about this made the computer show static and when I opened the machine up for the first time since I had it I did not see any more water, but I stopped using it for 2 days (2 days short of the recommended 4 days), occasionally storing it in a dry place, the microwave, and the problem was gone the next time I powered on.

Enter the current problem.

#4. As someone who works in Adobe programs I am constantly looking for ways to speed up my laptop so for the last few weeks before the current problem I had been running Disk Cleanups and running Defragmentation at boot. It wasn't until maybe 2 weeks before it all hit the fan that I remembered I had System Mechanic Professional 10 (upraded to 11) installed out of its own box on my computer. About 2 years ago my subscription had expired sometime around mid 2011 but I could still access some of the features.

When I first opened it up after all these years, among the many non-pressing issues it was asking me to renew my subscription to be able to fix, ("You need to renew to update virus definitons") System Mechanic Professional had told me there were 62 GB of fragmentation on my hard drive so I ran it and restarted my computer. When I powered back on and examined how many GB I had left via the My Computer Tab I saw no change and when I had System Mechanic Professional scan my computer again it reported the same issues but in something of greater detail. 62 GB fragmentation 142 MB in unnecessary junk files. I ran another clean and and the issue stayed the same as before.

I had a workload so I put it off for somedays. When I again found time to try and improve I was determined to make it work and instead of running a broad thorough scan I would go through System Mechanic's individual scans sections and single out certain Modules of my laptop to speed up.

I remember running 3 scans:

Memory Mechanic

This defragments the computer's RAM.

Drive Medic

This finds and repairs errors on the drive but I remember it turning up no errors.

I also remember running something that would help defragment my hard drive but I can neither find nor remember the name of the feature.

I restarted my computer and it got as far as past the Windows XP loading screen before showing me the colored static and freezing, when I restarted the power, the screen simply wouldn't power on and stayed black while the rest of the computer seemed to turn on as usual.

When I first tried to troubledshoot the problem I was told to disconnect the battery and AC cable then hold down the power button for 15-60 seconds (instructions varied). I did this and even got an extra monitor to see if it was a problem with the laptop screen itself. The problem persisted. I was then told to pay attention to blinking lights on the key board and sure enough I saw the CAPS lock LED light blink 3 times between 2 second intervals 5 seperate times indicating a Memory Component failure (according to http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01443366

So I opened up my computer for what had to be probably the second time ever and took out both RAM sticks one at a time turning the computer back on to see how it worked without the other. I am no longer getting ANY blinking LED light error even when I put both stick of RAM back in, but the laptops screen is still black. I took out both default sticks and replaced them with a single factory packaged stick of 2 GB RAM I had aquired. I got the same lack of response; No LED code or a screen change. Smiley Frustrated

Just to see what would happened, I removed all sticks of RAM and recieved the 3 LED light blinks of a memory component failure.

I'm (obviously) at a loss for what to do. I have little idea how I can even begin to solve a problem I don't know how to diagnose and even have trouble describing in search engines. I'm not even sure if a 4 year-old (at least) refurbished computer is even entitled to replacement pieces should such a thing be called for.

Please help and thanks even if you only just managed to finish reading all of that.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hey WhiteKnitter, 

I'm sorry that you're running into this issue with RAM. You've done a great job of troubleshooting already and you're on the right path.

Is the replacement 2GB stick of RAM you have, the same frequency as the RAM that was in your computer? As long as the frequency matches, it should work as a replacement. If it does match, try just putting that one stick in the lower slot (or the slot closes to the motherboard). That is the primary slot. Leave the secondary slot empty. Then turn your computer on and see if you get a blank screen.

If you do get a blank screen, power down and place the 2GB stick in the secondary slot, leaving the primary slot empty. Power on again and see if you are still getting a blank screen.

Repeat this individually with each stick of RAM you have. Try each stick, one by one in each slot. This will help rule out a bad slot.

IMPORTANT:  Also remember to take electrostatic precautions  You need to discharge any static electricity that may be built up by touching a piece of metal before you touch the RAM or open the computer. Don't do a lot of moving around (walking on carpet or sliding around in your seat) and continue to ground yourself every five minutes or so, by touching metal while you're swapping the sticks in and out. It is very easy to "fry" memory modules by not discharging your static electricity before starting a repair. 

It's possible that one of the sticks may have already been affected by static electricity if none of them are working.

Another common thing to check is to make sure you're pushing the module all the way into the slot. The arms on each end of the stick should snap parallel to each other, rather than at an angle. The ends of the arms should meet the notches in each end of the module.

RAM.jpg

Let me know how the swapping tests go! I'll keep an eye out for your reply 🙂

HP Recommended

Nothing can describe my shock when I looked in my inbox and saw an actual reply!

The thing about this problem that frustrates me is that I covered all my bases as far as I can imagine; I explored every possible variable with the RAM placement.

I switched the 2 default sticks around, took both of them out, tested them one at a time in both slots, did the same with the new RAM, combined it with 1 of both of the 2 default sticks of RAM, then out of desperation, I repeated all of the previous steps but did the Power Reset trick after each one, and yes, the RAM was always safely/correctly fastened in.

The response was still the same: No screen response and the CAPS lock LED light was no longer showing an error code. I'm not sure about the static shock theory, all these years of opening up computers (not my laptop, until recently) I've never worn a static bracelet (I probably should though) but I can never remember shocking myself in the slightest when touching an internal part. It might also be worth noting that my laptop recognizes a memory component failure only when all sticks are absent but not when they're present, but I don't know if that's normal or not for fried memory.

It's perplexing to think that when the problem first started and both sticks of RAM were still in I was actually getting the LED light error code but only after I tried to do something about it does it stop. In my extremely limited tech knowledge, I can only think of one vague far-reaching reason for this: There are/were(?) TWO issues holding my startup process up. Somehow, either me or the faulty memory fixed itself (I warned you about the far-reaching) but another screen-stopping error, which I have no means of knowing how to detect, is still present and continuing to hold up the rest of the laptop.

I'd hate to hold confirmation bias, but I think System Mechanic might have corrupted some crucial part of my computer when I used its defragmentation utilities before restarting. I'm seeing that all of the sticks of RAM are >appearing< to no longer be setting off any red flags with my computer in the form of error light codes and based on when I removed my hard drive and was able to transfer files to a USB through another computer (using a module I got from opening up a USB drive) the hard drive >seems< functional. :indifferent:

I just don't know. But worse than that, I don't know how I can know.

Your response is much appreciated! :generic:

HP Recommended

Well I will certainly help with troubleshooting as much as I can 🙂

It sounds like you gave the RAM a once, twice and thrice over. It's good that you're not getting the 3 blink pattern anymore. The only other thing I would mention on RAM is check the cover/door over the RAM. Some of them have vents that collect dust. Once I had a computer that powered on but no response from the screen at all. Swapped the RAM but still nothing. Finally I decided to just clean it up and give it back to the guy unresolved because I didn't want to keep it for so long. While I was cleaning I ran across an unusually large accumulation of dust and pet hair (computer was being used at a veterinarian's office) . I cleaned the RAM door and it booted with no problems. That's my far-reaching suggestion.

There are a few other things I would suggest.

Attempt a BIOS Rollback

1. Shutdown

2. Press Power button and immediately hold the Windows key + B down for 5 seconds and release.

3. Wait about 5 minutes for an image to appear on the screen.

It may ask you to confirm the BIOS rollback and then it will take a few minutes to load.

If you still don't see anything on the screen, try shining a flashlight onto the screen. Can you see a dim/faint image? Also try plugging up an external monitor to see if you get an image on that screen.

Let me know what you find with those tests 🙂

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delayed response, it took some time to reaquire a monitor and after that I forgot my login. :smileyembarrassed:

The concept of restarting a BIOS was completely new to me and from what I'd researched on it I was afraid of having to go deeper inside my computer looking for some internal clock component I simply was not seeing up until that point but luckily enough, for my model at least, all I had to do was press Windows key+B. The result was that the screen stayed black as the computer turned itself off and then back on soon afterwards but the problem remained and any attempt to press and hold either Windows Key + B or F11 was met with beeping noises (subsequent power resets also had no effect). The montior read no signal, even when I pressed the screen switch buttons, indicating the computer hasn't given it anything to recieve.

It might have been worth noting all along how my laptop isn't starting up.

Are you familiar with that state of operation when you first turn on a laptop and its displaying the brand logo, or maybe a little before then, in which you're able to immediately power it completely off with a single push of the power button as opposed to when the computer is in full use where you instead have to hold the power button down for a few seconds? That's how my laptop has been when I turn it on since the issue first occured. I've even let it sit sometimes for many minutes just to make sure the startup wasn't simply delayed however the screen stays nonoperational and when I tap the power button my computer shuts off instantly. So it would seem my computer is perpetually stuck powering on, but I couldn't be sure.

???

HP Recommended

Yes it seems like this is going to be a significant hardware issue. I would advise taking it to a local repair shop where they can swap out parts to further troubleshoot. 

The internal clock component is the CMOS battery. A bad CMOS battery can be to blame for the computer's clock displaying the wrong time or skipping ahead random amounts of time. It can sometimes be to blame for older computers not starting up. In a desktop or a new laptop they've become easier to get to, but your computer's CMOS battery is on the topside of the motherboard. It would take a major effort to get to it. Switching it out is pretty simple, but I can't guarantee that switching it out would resolve the issue. It could be anywhere from a motherboard, power supply, or video port issue (which is really a motherboard issue). Taking it to a repair shop where they can test those components would be my best advice 🙂

HP Recommended

Hello !

Did you get a fix for your laptop ? Mine had exactly same problem.

Thanks !

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.