Are these guppies fertile?

Barbvday

I ordered some dumbo guppies from band app and the ones I got have a really large gonopodium.

im not super familiar with guppies but would this make the males infertile? I have seen this in pictures before but I wanted to see if it’s normal or not.

thanks!

234F2EF7-71D9-4171-B1E3-7380A599649A.jpeg

53342847-9935-4FA1-BF97-97D601230FA6.jpeg

C8BB3020-3E0E-4008-90B0-26AAFF9D9025.jpeg

094C7942-50A8-4909-B57B-1F120F2927E2.png

9408BA6C-3143-4D6D-90C6-075A882FEC4F.jpeg

Edited by Barbvday

On 12/10/2021 at 3:10 PM, Barbvday said:

I ordered some dumbo guppies from band app and the ones I got have a really large gonopodium.

im not super familiar with guppies but would this make the males infertile? I have seen this in pictures before but I wanted to see if it’s normal or not.

thanks!

234F2EF7-71D9-4171-B1E3-7380A599649A.jpeg

Upload more photos, and a video if you’re able please. Hard to tell pelvic fins from gonopodium…

I love guppy genetics and this is a classic guppy genetics case. I love this primer from Diana Walstad on guppy genetics. https://dianawalstad.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/guppy-genetics-2021-1.pdf

These are a "ribbon" strain, the long pelvic fins and gonopodium are part of this. They are a show strain. Many breeders sell the ribbon ones with the long gonopodium and keep the ones with the smaller pelvic fins and gonopodium with the trait as they can continue to breed whereas these guys most likely will never be able to reproduce. 

Here's a notation on a guppy breeder I've looked at in the past stated, "Ribbon Fin Gene Warning: Breeding ribbon guppies is not for beginners. These are not as simple to breed as other strains. A Male with a long gonopodium (ribbon) can't mate with a female. This is due to the length of their gonopodium (penis) being so long that they can't hold it erect and hit the targeted female. Ribbon Fin males are only for your viewing pleasure. To breed a Ribbon Fin line you will need a regular finned male and a Ribbon finned female. When the two are bred together you still will not have ribbon fry. Thats right, none of the babies you produce will show a Ribbon. You will get all regular finned guppies with 25% Normal Male, 25% Normal Male carrying the ribbon gene but not showing a Ribbon fin, 25% Normal females, and 25% normal females carrying the ribbon gene but not showing it. You will need to mate the fry to each other in brother and sister pairs and hope that the male and female you paired both have the recessive ribbon gene. If the pair produces all normals you have either chosen one or both normals as parents. One could still be carrying ribbon fin but because the other wasn't carrying it none of the offspring will be ribbons, some will be carriers If one parent carried the ribbon gene. You can test the male again with another female but the mother is now producing fry from that male for 6 months or so. BIf not done properly you can lose the ribbon gene quickly in a couple of generations and have regular finned guppies. That is why if you want ribbon finned guppies for a display tank it's best to just order ribbon finned males and not try breeding."

• Like 2

On 12/10/2021 at 6:10 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I love guppy genetics and this is a classic guppy genetics case. I love this primer from Diana Walstad on guppy genetics. https://dianawalstad.files.wordpress.com/2021/06/guppy-genetics-2021-1.pdf

These are a "ribbon" strain, the long pelvic fins and gonopodium are part of this. They are a show strain. Many breeders sell the ribbon ones with the long gonopodium and keep the ones with the smaller pelvic fins and gonopodium with the trait as they can continue to breed whereas these guys most likely will never be able to reproduce. 

Here's a notation on a guppy breeder I've looked at in the past stated, "Ribbon Fin Gene Warning: Breeding ribbon guppies is not for beginners. These are not as simple to breed as other strains. A Male with a long gonopodium (ribbon) can't mate with a female. This is due to the length of their gonopodium (penis) being so long that they can't hold it erect and hit the targeted female. Ribbon Fin males are only for your viewing pleasure. To breed a Ribbon Fin line you will need a regular finned male and a Ribbon finned female. When the two are bred together you still will not have ribbon fry. Thats right, none of the babies you produce will show a Ribbon. You will get all regular finned guppies with 25% Normal Male, 25% Normal Male carrying the ribbon gene but not showing a Ribbon fin, 25% Normal females, and 25% normal females carrying the ribbon gene but not showing it. You will need to mate the fry to each other in brother and sister pairs and hope that the male and female you paired both have the recessive ribbon gene. If the pair produces all normals you have either chosen one or both normals as parents. One could still be carrying ribbon fin but because the other wasn't carrying it none of the offspring will be ribbons, some will be carriers If one parent carried the ribbon gene. You can test the male again with another female but the mother is now producing fry from that male for 6 months or so. BIf not done properly you can lose the ribbon gene quickly in a couple of generations and have regular finned guppies. That is why if you want ribbon finned guppies for a display tank it's best to just order ribbon finned males and not try breeding."

Thank you! Apparently it’s only a 10% chance of breeding unless you perform a “circumcision” and manually cut the gonopodium down to a manageable size.

I think I will definitely not do that and just enjoy them as is lol

• Haha 1

@CalmedByFishI would hope so too, but I know the big commercial operations don't have a retirement tank/pond. My understanding is that they were designed as show guppies and they've perpetuated the trait because there is a market out there for them. As I said the reputable breeders state this clearly in their adverts to help folks understand they are just for show but this situation really pisses me off. @Barbvdayshould have been told this so she could make a decision. I am sure they will get a good home in this case. 

• Like 1